Fast and easy to make dairy-free cornbread. Slice and pan fry in a little oil for a tasty breakfast treat.
Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
1 cup corn meal
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cups unbleached white flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup scallions, minced
1 cup unsweetened rice milk or almond milk
1/4 cup safflower oil or grapeseed oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. Combine dry ingredients in a medium size mixing bowl. Add the wet ingredients and mix together.
2. Pour into an oiled 5x8 loaf pan.
3. Bake at 400º for 25 minutes.
If you like egg salad but don’t eat eggs, try this tofu egg-less salad. It has all the flavor and texture of egg salad without the cholesterol. Once this dish chills in the refrigerator for a few days it’s hard to tell the difference from the tradition version.
1 lb extra-firm tofu, drained
1 celery stalk, minced
1/4 cup onion, minced
2 tablespoons sweet gherkin pickles, minced
1/4 cup + 2 T vegenaise (vegan mayo)
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon tahini
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. Blanch tofu, drain and cool.
2. With your hands, crumble the tofu into a mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and combine together until you have the consistency of egg salad. Chill before serving.
Makes 3 cups
Vegetable & Quinoa Soup
Mild, earthy & soothing, loaded with veggies & grain protein. Goes well anytime of the year.
1/2 cup raw quinoa
2 tablespoons, extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups onions, chopped
1 cup potatoes, diced
1 cup red or green bell peppers, chopped
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 cups vegetable stock or water
1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes, diced
1 cup zucchini or yellow squash, diced
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
scallion, chopped for garnish
1. Rinse quinoa under cold water, drain and set aside.
2. Warm the olive oil in a soup pot, add the onions and cooking until translucent, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the drained quinoa, potatoes, peppers, coriander, cumin and oregano then the stock or water, tomatoes and zucchini. Cover bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently until all the vegetables are tender and soup thickens.
4. Stir in the lemon juice. Season with sea salt and black pepper, garnish with chopped scallions.